Today I’m sharing some of my top tips to cooking up delicious cheeseburgers in celebration of National Cheeseburger Day (yes, there is in fact a day just to celebrate them, and it’s today!). They are admittedly one my favorite comfort foods, and I just love the endless varieties and flavor profiles you can make at home with whatever ingredients you have on hand.
Hope the tips are helpful, and please share your cheeseburger stories and photos over on my Facebook and Twitter pages.
- Use 80/20 beef…it’s the juiciest (and the cheapest), which is good on the burger front.
- Make a slight indentation with your thumb in the center of the patty when shaping to keep the burgers from “balling up” on the grill.
- Try to turn the burgers only once while cooking.
- Resist the urge to press down on the burgers with a spatula while they’re on the grill – this dries out the burgers!
- Try your favorite burger recipe using turkey, tuna, salmon or black bean burgers for a tasty twist on a favorite.
- Try my husband’s all-time favorite burger recipe – the Grilled Two-Cheese Burgers with Garlic Dressing in my cookbook.
- And last but not least, my number-one burger tip (in fact, grilling tip!) is to invest ten bucks in an instant read thermometer. Use it so you don’t have to second-guess how cooked the meat is (or worse, cut it open to check it – noooooooooooooooo…). Keep in mind the meat temperature will increase 5 degrees (due to carryover cooking) after you take it off the grill.
Looking for a fun, tasty and simple burger recipe to try tonight? Here’s my Perfect Summer Basil Burger. Enjoy!